Monday 8 July 2013

Oh boy its been forever since I have had the opportunity to put a post on here. Since my last post I finished my Bachelors of Health Science degree, was awarded a new job, joined the Fibre Art Network and have been teaching many Free Motion Thread Play classes. Of course I have also been really busy creating new pieced to add to my collection.

Upon joining the Fibre Art Network group I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to create a piece for the Abstracted show in Washington. This pieced consisted of two quilters, one was to create a abstract piece while the other partner was to create a realistic piece. The goal was to create two pieced that were representational of a common theme. We chose to do an Okanagan scene, Peachland scene to be exact. I had the honour of doing the realistic version here is what I came up with...


 Here is the background fabric I used. I choose to paint the sky and water on white fabric to get the effect that I was after as I can never find good sky fabric. There is nothing better than creating your own fabric!


Next I added some appliqué and then did some heavy free motion quilting. Once my background was done I did some trapplique (a cross between trapunto and appliqué) and created my tree trunk. Once created I then made some 3D branches and added them onto my piece and here is what I ended up with...


I was very happy with the final effect. Here are a few more close ups...




Hope this inspires you to branch out of your normal and try something new!

Happy Quilting,
Coleen

1 comment: